Recipe Courtesy of: Plant-based Kindness
- 1 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 can (400 ml/14oz) coconut milk
- 3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee grounds combined with 2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
Grease a 9 in (or smaller) springform pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Add the almonds to a food processor, and pulse a few times until it becomes like small crumbs, but not flour-like.
- Measure out the solid coconut oil, then soften in the microwave 30 seconds.
- Add to the melted coconut oil processor and pulse a few times. The mixture should be sticking together when you press it between your fingers.
- Transfer the crust mixture to the greased pan, then press down as evenly as possible to cover the bottom to form the crust. Press down evenly.
- Add the coconut milk to a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer.
- When the coconut is simmering, add the chocolate chips. Stir with so the chocolate chips are completely covered.
- Turn the heat off, cover, and set aside for 20 minutes, without removing the lid.
- Once it’s been 20 minutes, take the lid off the sauce pan, trying to avoid the condensation water to fall back into the chocolate as much as possible. Whisk until the chocolate is completely smooth.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and coffee to the chocolate and whisk until completely smooth.
- In a different sauce pan, bring the 1/2 cup of water to a simmer. Once the water is simmering, add the agar powder and whisk to combine.
- Whisk often, and let simmer until the water becomes thick and gel-like, around 2 minutes.
- Agar agar sets fast, so you will have to work relatively quickly for the next step.
- Add the agar agar gel to the chocolate mixture. Immediately whisk really well to combine. As soon as the agar is well incorporated into the chocolate, transfer to the springform pan.
- Try to make the top as smooth as possible, and transfer the tart to the refrigerator to chill for 3 hours.
- Serve as desired.
- Store covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freezer friendly.