Double Cream Potato Gratin
by Plvnt Food
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 3-4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large shallot, peeled
- 2 ½ cups regular unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tub Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- Salt / Black Pepper to taste
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 4-5 pounds russet potatoes
- ½-1 cup Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Shreds
- ¾ cup Follow Your Heart Grated Parmesan (divided)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F
- Add your butter to a sauce pot over medium heat, once melted, add in your flour and whisk to create a roux. Cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes, then slowly whisk in your milk.
- Add in your cream cheese, ¼ cup parmesan, salt & pepper to taste, your thyme / rosemary / sage, garlic cloves, and shallot to the sauce and mix. Bring to a boil & reduce to a simmer, then allow to cook on low for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Wash your potatoes really well and slice them thin on a mandolin. Soak them in a bowl of water until ready to use.
- In your baking dish or large oven safe skillet, rub some vegan butter around to grease the pan. Take your potato slices and add them in layers (standing up) until the dish is full. I like to do this in a circle so it almost creates a “rose”.
- Remove your shallot, garlic, and herbs from the cream sauce, and pour over top of the potatoes evenly. Cover with foil, and bake in the oven for 70 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the sauce is thick and bubbly & the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Add your mozzarella & grated parmesan to the top of the potatoes, and place them back in the oven on broil. Broil for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly & golden brown.