Falafel and Herb Yogurt Sauce
by Spork Foods
- 1 lb garbanzo beans, dried (4 cups after soaking)
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 bulb garlic, plus dash oil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp organic all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ – ½ cup neutral tasting oil for cooking
Herb Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 6 oz plain Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Plain Yogurt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, from above falafel recipe
- 2 tsp finely chopped onion
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- Soak dried chickpeas in bowl of water, covered by about 3 inches for one day.
- For roasted garlic, Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Slice top of bulb off garlic. Place cut side down in ramekin with dash oil. Roast about 35 minutes, or until cloves are soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For falafel, rinse and drain chickpeas and place in food processor. Add onion, 4 cloves roasted garlic, parsley, flour, sea salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom, and lemon zest. Pulse just until mixture holds together and is finely ground, and still slightly coarse.
- Heat a small pot and add oil. Carefully spoon 1 ½ tbsp sized balls of the mixture into oil and cook until golden, for approximately 1 minute. Flip and cook for an additional minute.
- For yogurt sauce, combine tahini, yogurt, lemon, 3 cloves mashed roasted garlic, onion, sea salt, pepper, dill, and mint in a bowl and whisk. To allow flavors to develop, refrigerate for half an hour before serving.