French Onion Meatball Subs
by Plvnt Food
- vegan meatballs of your choice
- Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda Cheese Slices
- 2 sweet onions, sliced into half-moons
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt/pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
- 3-4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- hoagie rolls
- Add a decent amount of oil into a skillet and brown your vegan meatballs. Remove them from the pan & add a little more oil, flour, and whisk to make a roux. Add in your vegetable broth slowly while whisking, then add your Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, soy sauce, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper to taste, and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until a thick-ish gravy forms. Add your meatballs back into the gravy to cook more.
- Slice your onions into half-moons, and add them into a skillet with some oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, salt to taste, and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme. Cook over medium heat until caramelized, stirring semi-frequently.
- Toast your hoagie rolls, and add in 2 slices of smoked gouda cheese. Add in some of your gravy covered meatballs, and top with your caramelized onions. Garnish with more fresh thyme if desired!