Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
by Carol Kicinksi
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise®
- 1 1/2 cup good quality gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup dairy free milk or water (I like to use a combination of half coconut milk and half water)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart® Vegan Cream Cheese
¼ cup Earth Balance
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup finely chopped strawberries
4 – 5 cups (or more) powdered sugar
Garnish – optional:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 standard sized muffin cups with paper liners.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In another mixing bowl whisk together the Vegenaise®, sugar, dairy free milk, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken up. Stir in the strawberries and divide the batter among the prepared cups filling each cup almost full. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown, the cupcakes feel firm to the touch and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. The strawberries will make these cupcakes very moist.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting.
- Combine the Vegan Gourmet cream cheese alternative, Earth Balance and coconut oil in a mixing bowl of an electric mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, and beat at medium-high speed until smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times to ensure the mixture is completely smooth. Add the salt, vanilla, lemon juice and strawberries and mix to combine. Sift in 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix, starting on low speed, to combine. You may need to add more sugar because you want the frosting to be the consistency of either stiffly whipped cream or buttercream frosting. Refrigerate the frosting for about 10 minutes before frosting the cupcakes.
- Frost cupcakes and refrigerate until serving time. If desired garnish with strawberry slices and mint leaves just before serving.