Grilled Eggplant Manicotti
- 3 medium eggplants
- about 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 28oz can peeled tomatoes, whole or crushed/chopped
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 8oz bag Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- Vegan Parmesan Grated, to serve
- Wash and dry eggplants. Remove green tops and slice, lengthwise, into 1/3-inch strips. Sprinkle salt on the flesh of each eggplant, about 1/2 tsp per side. Let sit for 20-30 minutes to draw out extra moisture.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high. Pat eggplant down with a paper towel, removing liquid and any excess salt. Brush each side with about 1/2 tsp olive oil, and grill about 2-3 minutes each side, until grill marks appear and eggplant is halfway cooked but not soft. Remove eggplant and set aside to cool.
- In a large pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add herbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until herbs are fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove about half the onion mixture and set aside.
- Add in peeled tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to mix, add salt and pepper, and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using a large cutting board, spoon about 1 tsp of onion mixture into one end of each eggplant strip. Sprinkle a generous amount of Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella Shreds on top of onion mixture, and roll up, lengthwise. Place each eggplant in a baking dish, top with tomato sauce.
- Place in oven and cook about 20-25 minutes or cheese is fully melted and gooey. Sprinkle generously with Vegan Parmesan, and serve. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.