Habanero Philadelphia Roll w/ Smoked Carrot Salmon
- 12 rinsed medium sized orange carrots
- ½ cup salt
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp kelp dust
- 2 cup short-grain or calrose rice
- 2 cup water, plus extra for rinsing
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp organic sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 container Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- ¾ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 1 tbsp minced, seeded, habañero chili (more to taste if you like it hot!)
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 avocado, seeded and cut length wise into 1/2” thick slices.
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, cut length wise into 3” x 1/2” sticks.
- 1 package of Nori
- wooden sushi mat
- small bowl of water
- sharp chefs knife
- toasted sesame seeds
- black sesame seeds
- red chili threads
- Set the oven to 400° f. While the oven heats up, prep a lightly oiled baking sheet or silpat atop a baking sheet with the carrots (do not peel them). Coat the carrot in salt and oil. Essentially, this quantity of salt is to cure the carrots while they’re roasting. Roast for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Wash rice thoroughly until the water drains clear. If using a rice cooker, use the cookers water to rice ratio instructions. If using a medium sized sauce pan, add rice and water to the pan and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat to low and let cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and whisk until sugar dissolves. Turn off heat, set aside. Transfer rice to a large bowl, add the vinegar mixture and fold until rice is fully saturated. Set aside.
- Using a pairing knife, cut all carrots in half width wise, then cut a thin slit on the surface (not entirely through the carrot) and begin to peel off the outer layer and skin of the carrot. Repeat process.
- Cut the carrots one at a time with the pairing knife width wise and at an angle to make very thin slices. You don’t have to be too accurate on the shape of the slices, they can very from 1/2” to 1” slices. The more unique the better!
- For the spicy mayo, place contents into a bowl and whisk vigorously until emulsified. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Place contents of cream cheese, minus the habañero, into a food processor or blender. Blend or pulse until ingredients are bound together. No more than a minutes time as you don’t want the mixture to get too creamy. Place mixture in a bowl and fold in the minced habañero. Add more chili to taste if you prefer more heat! Place bowl in refrigerator for 20 minutes or until ready for use.
- Prepare your sushi rolling station with the small bowl of water, sushi mat, and knife. Spread rice onto shiny side of the nori sheet, leaving 1” at the top free. Add cucumber, avocado, carrot salmon, width wise to the center of the nori. Using a piping bag, add the cream cheese mixture to the center of the nori. Lightly moisten the top of the nori with water then roll the sushi tightly. Continue steps until ingredients are finished.
- Cut rolls into 3/4” pieces. There are excellent videos on Youtube that teach you how to roll and cut sushi if you’re new to this! Be sure to wet and wipe the knife before cutting each roll. This method for rolling is for nori facing outwards, which is easier than the pictured rice outwards. If you’d like the look of the outwards rice, grab some add some plastic wrap to your list and watch some YouTube videos on how to execute this more advanced method.
- Plate your sushi, serve with spicy mayo and enjoy!