Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Fritters
by Eva Agha
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg
- 1/3 cup ice-cold water
- ½ tsp all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 jalapeños, minced (seed for less heat if desired)
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cheddar Shreds
- 3 tbsp chives
- Oil for frying
- Combine the VeganEgg powder and ice-cold water and whisk vigorously for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Add the non-dairy milk and prepared VeganEgg and whisk to make a batter.
- Fold in the corn (no need to defrost if frozen), jalapeños, Dairy-Free Cheddar, and chives.
- Heat ½-inch of oil in a deep pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot use a cookie scoop or measuring cup to drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the fritters are a rich golden brown. If they turn dark too fast, turn down the heat as it will not cook all the way through. Fry in batches to not overcrowd the pan. Drain the fritters on a paper towel-lined plate. Note: If frying in a skillet, use a splatter guard as the corn may cause the oil to splatter.
To pan-fry: add a thin layer of oil to coat the pan and flatten the fritters when dropped in the pan to make a pancake-fritter. Fry until golden brown on each side.
- Serve hot with your favorite Follow Your Heart Dressings and/or Vegenaise flavors for dipping! To reheat: bake at 400 ºF for about 10 minutes or until hot.