Plant-Based Fish & Chips
by Plvnt Food
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 sheet of nori (seaweed)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ – 2 bottles of beer
- 2 tbsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Canola Oil for frying
- Frozen Fries
- Follow Your Heart Vegenaise Tartar Sauce
- Lemon Wedges
- Bring your oil up to 375°F to deep fry.
- Drain & dry your tofu well. Cut the block in half thickness wise, and then cut each piece in half diagonally to make 4 triangles total. Cut some nori to fit over one side of each triangle of tofu (to act like “fish skin”), rub a little water on the side of the tofu and then place on the nori and press it down well.
- In a bowl, mix your flour, beer, baking powder, old bay, and salt until combined to about a slightly thick pancake batter consistency.
- With a fork, dip your tofu triangles into the batter until it’s well coated, then add to your hot oil. Fry only 2 at a time to make sure they cook evenly and transfer to a cooling rack to drain / season with salt once golden brown.
- Once your “fish is done”, fry your French fries until golden brown.
- Serve your fish and chips with tartar sauce & lemon wedges.