Pumpkin Spice Muffins
by Plvnt Food
For the Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup unflavored/unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil, or your favorite baking oil
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the Icing
- 1 ½ cups Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Cream Cheese
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 2-4 tbsp unflavored and unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
To Make the Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, stir together pumpkin puree, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until blended.
- Divide the mixture among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the tops spring up when touched lightly.
- Transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
To Make the Frosting
- While the muffins cool, place the room temperature cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, powdered sugar and lemon juice into a bowl. Mix until a paste forms. Slowly add your almond milk until a thick-ish icing is formed.
Frost the Muffins
- When the muffins are cool, remove them from the tins and spread with icing. Optionally, garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon or sprinkles.