- 1- 9 inch frozen pie crust
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 VeganEggs (6 level Tbsp VeganEgg™ + 1- 1/2 cups ice cold water)
- 3/4 cup coconut creamer
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup FYH Provolone, shredded (or any FYH cheese of your choice)
- 1- 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung free of water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thaw pie crust until just soft enough (about 10 minutes) to easily prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake crust on center rack until fully cooked and lightly golden, about 10 minutes or as directed on package. If crust puffs up while cooking, gently prick with a fork so it will deflate. Set aside and turn oven down to 325°F.
- Heat vegan butter in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cook shallots until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, measure VeganEgg™ powder, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add ice cold water and whisk until smooth. Then pour in coconut creamer and whisk to incorporate.
- Place cooked pie crust on a baking sheet (this makes it easy to move in and out of the oven.) Evenly spread shallots, cheese, and spinach over bottom of cooked crust, (breaking up clumps as best you can), then pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake at 325°F for 50-55 minutes until custard is set and top is lightly golden. Serve hot or warm.
Note: Defrost the frozen spinach quickly by placing it in a fine mesh strainer and running hot water over it. Then gather the spinach into a ball and squeeze to dry. It takes a few minutes of squeezing and re-squeezing to get all the water out. Be patient… you need the spinach completely dry, otherwise your quiche will be watery.