Red Bean Fritters
by Spork Foods
Black Bean Fritter
- 2 tsp neutral-tasting oil
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder
- ½ cup ice-cold water
- 1 can red beans (kidney) (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup almond flour or whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ -1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tbsp – ¼ cup neutral-tasting oil for frying (safflower or grapeseed)
Spicy Cream Topping
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp agave or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. Add onion and garlic and cook 3-5 minutes to soften. Add zucchini and corn and cook until browned, about 5-7 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine VeganEgg and ice-cold water. Whisk until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- To a food processor add beans. Add prepared VeganEgg, lemon juice or vinegar, agave or coconut nectar, Worcestershire, cornmeal or breadcrumbs, flour, parsley, sea salt, and lemon pepper. Pulse until uniform. Remove blade from food processor and fold in cooked vegetables.
- Heat sauté pan over medium heat and add oil. Scoop fritters in ¼ cup oval patties and cook until crisp on each side, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, for topping whisk Vegenaise, vinegar, agave or coconut nectar, hot sauce, garlic powder, minced onion, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Serve fritters warm topped with spicy topping. This dish can be served over rice, salad greens, or used on a bun or toast as a veggie burger alternative.