Cacio e Pepe Risotto w Wild Mushrooms
Baked Cacio e Pepe Risotto
- 3 large shallots, chopped finely
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced finely
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups vegan chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 cups unsweetened plain vegan creamer
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup grated vegan Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Grated Parmesan
- Salt & Pepper to taste (but add a lot of extra pepper)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Crisped Wild Mushrooms
- 2 pounds oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt / Pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Toasted Walnut Pieces *for garnish
- Fresh Rosemary *for garnish
- Follow Your Heart Grated Parmesan Cheese *for garnish
- Black Pepper *for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a semi-large pot, add in your olive oil over medium heat. Then add your chopped shallot and garlic, season with salt, and cook until translucent. Then add in your rice and stir until slightly golden brown and toasted.
- Add in you white wine and cook (stirring frequently) until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then add in 5 cups of your vegan chicken broth, season with salt & pepper, bring to a low boil & cover then place in your oven until most of the liquid is absorbed (but not al of it). This can take anywhere from 16-20 minutes (or maybe a little longer). Check on it semi-frequently and stir to prevent burning.
- Once most of the liquid is absorbed, take it out of the oven and return it to the stove top. Over medium heat, add your remaining 1 cup of chicken broth and stir frequently until most of the liquid is combined
- Add in your creamer, nutmeg, lemon juice, more salt/pepper if needed, butter, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook again until the liquid begins to absorb. Don’t let this time get too thick, you want it to be really creamy with the rice still having a little bite to it.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add in your olive oil. Once its heated, add in your chopped mushrooms, salt/pepper, and fresh herbs. Cook until browned and crisp. Set aside.
- Place your risotto in a bowl, top with some of the mushrooms, then garnish with more parmesan cheese & black pepper, toasted walnuts, and some fresh rosemary. Drizzle with extra olive oil if desired.