Smoked Pulled “Pork” Sandwiches
by Plvnt Food
Smoked Pulled Pork
- 2 large cans brined jackfruit (drained & rinsed)
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, chili powder, dried thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- ½-1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup vegan-friendly barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beer
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ head green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Organic Vegan Coleslaw Dressing (more or less to taste)
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Sesame Seed Buns
- Dill Pickles
Smoked Pulled Pork
- In a skillet over medium heat, add your avocado oil until shimmering. Then add in your drained jackfruit, ground cumin, ground coriander, chili powder, dried thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, chipotle peppers, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine and cook for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Mash your jackfruit with a fork or potato masher very well.
- Add in your barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and beer. Mix well. This will look kind of liquid-y but it’s what we want!
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. You want the beer to cook out and reduce.
- Once the beer has reduced, remove the lid & spread into a flat layer on the pan. Crank the heat to medium-high and cook for a couple of minutes, stir, and then another couple minutes to get a nice “char” on the jackfruit. Taste and adjust for seasonings, then remove from the heat and set aside, covered, until ready to use.
- Shred your cabbage and add it to the bowl with the rest of your ingredients. Mix well.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, vinegar, or coleslaw dressing as desired.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Toast up your buns if desired, then layer your coleslaw on the bottom, a healthy portion of your smoked pulled pork, and top with dill pickle slices. Add your top bun (adding a sandwich pick will help make eating this a lot less messy), serve, and enjoy!