Smoky Mushroom Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz crimini mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 15 oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free American Slices, shredded
- Follow Your Hear Dairy-Free Sour Cream, to serve
- Chopped green onion, cilantro, and/or jalapeño slices, to serve
- Using a food processor or blender, finely chop crimini mushrooms
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, peppers, onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, until mushrooms are no longer releasing liquid.
- Add in spices, maple syrup, and liquid smoke. Stir to combine and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in kidney beans, tomato sauce, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with shredded Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free American Slices, Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Sour Cream, and additional garnishes.