Spicy Tomato Soup with a Sour Cream Swirl
by Spork Foods
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons organic un bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red jalapeños, or Fresno chilies, finely chopped
- 1 pint fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 can diced San Marzano tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 3 cups “no-chicken style” vegetable broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground Vietnamese cinnamon
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Sour Cream
- ½ baguette, grilled and sliced *Optional for garnish
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme *Optional for garnish
- Pre-heat a large pot. Add butter and flour and whisk. Add onion, garlic and chilies and sauté for about 3-4 minutes until slightly browned. Add fresh and canned tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, potato, cashews, sea salt, pepper and cinnamon. Cover and cook, partially covered for about 20 minutes over medium low heat, or until potatoes are very tender and cherry tomatoes have burst.
- Blend soup with a stick blender or in batches in a standard blender. If using a standard blender, remove middle section of lid. Place a dish towel over top of blender to prevent spillage, allowing steam to escape. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and dollop two teaspoons Follow Your Heart Sour Cream on top. Using a toothpick, create a swirling pattern on top of soup. Serve warm with thyme and bread as garnish if desired.