Strawberry Sour Cream Scones
by Spork Foods
- 1 ¾ cups organic all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons organic evaporated cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground golden flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup Vegan Sour Cream
- ½ cup un-sweetened almond or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons strawberry jelly or jam
- Pre-heat oven to 425°. If using a pizza stone, add to oven while pre-heating.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, flax seeds, sea salt, cardamom, and baking powder. Whisk with a pastry cutter to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Cut buttery spread and Sour Cream into mixture with pastry cutter, until mixture appears crumbly.
- Add in almond or soy milk, lemon juice, and fresh strawberries. Mix until just incorporated, do not over mix. The dough will not be completely smooth.
- Gather dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into ½ inch thick square. Cut into triangles.
- In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup and strawberry jam or jelly.
- Place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet or pizza stone and brush with maple syrup jelly mixture. If using pizza stone, carefully add scones to hot pizza stone when ready to bake.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown.