Tachin (saffron Rice Cake) Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- a few sprigs saffron
- 3 VeganEggs (6 tbsp VeganEgg powder whisked with 1 1/2 cups ice cold water)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry zereshk (barberries)
- 1 cup hot water
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- Rinse the basmati rice really well with cold water and add to water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil then to a simmer and cook until 3/4 of the way done.
- Add a few sprigs of Saffron to a few tbsp warm water. Add Saffron to the rice and mix well. A little goes a long way and it will turn a beautiful color. Set rice aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix your VeganEgg with the cooled down rice and make sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Grease the bottom of your muffin tin really generously with vegan butter. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Scoop rice mixture and pack into each muffin tin. Top with an extra pat of vegan butter. This recipe makes exactly enough for 12 muffins. (Note: you could also just pack this into a casserole dish using the same instructions)
- Bake on lower rack of your oven for 1 hour or until the bottoms are completely golden brown and crispy and they come out easily.
- While that is baking, soak your zereshk (barberrie in hot water with sugar for at least 10 – 15 minutes until they are plump and sweetened to your liking.
- Remove from the tins and serve with zereshk & sliced almonds or chopped pistachios. Enjoy it Veganly much!