Tomato Jam & Smoked Gouda Burger
- 1 ½ pints cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger root
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp chopped serrano, jalapeño, red pepper flakes, or Aleppo pepper
- 4 of your favorite veggie burger patty (we used Burgerlods Vegan patty)
- 8 Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda Slices
- 4 burger buns of your choice, or 8 slices your favorite bread (for a patty melt version)
- ½ yellow or white onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, for serving
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- Add all ingredients to a heavy-bottomed iron skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and keep at a simmer, stirring occasionally (every 2-3 min) for about 1 hour. You will know it is ready when you can run a wooden spoon through it and the jam does not begin to run back. Must be thick like a jam and not watery like a sauce.
- Heat veggie patties according to directions! If you have a grill, grill them! Heat on one side about 3 minutes, flip burger and add 2 slices of Smoked Gouda per patty.
- While patties are heating on second side, add buns to skillet or grill and toast about 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble burgers. Slather ¼ tbsp Vegenaise on bottom bun, top with lettuce, a few rings of onion, burger with cheese, and tomato jam. Add another ¼ tbsp Vegenaise to top bun and close! Repeat 4 times and enjoy!