- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium waxy potato (Yukon gold), thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup VeganEgg powder
- 2 cups ice-cold water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, divided
- Using a mandoline slicer or use the slicing blade of a food processor, on a thin setting. Thinly slice the potato. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and allow to soften for about 5 minutes, or until slightly browned. Remove from heat (reserving pan) and transfer to a bowl. Set aside. Heat another tablespoon olive oil to same pan and add sliced potatoes. Allow to cook for several minutes, or until soft and slightly golden around edges. Remove from pan, and add to bowl with onions.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a small (6-inch) cast iron pan over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, whisk VeganEgg powder and ice-cold water together in a large bowl, until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Season with sea salt and black pepper, then add onions, potatoes and two tablespoons fresh parsley to bowl and stir gently to combine.
- Pour entire mixture into cast-iron pan and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes. To flip, dab gently with paper towel to remove excess oil. Place a plate with a larger circumference than pan over top, and turn upside-down*. Then, place edge of plate into edge of pan farthest from you and slide it back into the pan, allowing it to cook for an additional 6-8 minutes. *Don’t worry if the contents spill out a bit when you flip it. Simply reshape it gently with a spatula once you return it to the pan – it will firm up more as it cooks.
- It’s done when it’s flipped onto a plate again and holds its shape. If it’s still a bit loose after cooking it on both sides, reduce the heat a bit and allow it to cook for a few to several more minutes on each side.
- Allow omelette to rest and cool for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with remaining parsley, and extra salt and pepper, if desired.