Vegan Filet ‘o’ Fish
by Plvnt Food
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 4 soft buns
- 4 slices Follow Your Heart American cheese
- Oil spray (I use olive oil)
- Follow Your Heart Vegenaise Tartar Sauce
- 1 Follow Your Heart VeganEgg (2 level tbsp VeganEgg powder whisked with 1/2 cup ice cold water)
- 1 tbsp Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a tray. Spray with oil directly down, not from side.
- Bake for 3 – 5 minutes until golden. Immediately transfer to bowl.
- Brush tray clean, spray with oil.
CRUMBING / BAKING
- Cut tofu block into square-ish shapes the size of the buns, & freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix Batter ingredients in a bowl.
- Carefully coat tofu in batter.
- Place in breadcrumbs. Use other hand to cover top and sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. Transfer to tray. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Bake 12 – 15 minutes until tofu is cooked through. Immediately top with cheese – allow residual heat to make it semi melt
- Cut buns in half, microwave for 20 seconds to warm through (microwave = stays soft).
- Top with fish and cheese, dollop with tartar sauce.