Vegan Matzo Balls
- 1 ½ cups matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus to taste
- ½ cup VeganEgg powder
- 1 ½ cups ice-cold water
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into thin rounds
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 8 cups vegan “no chicken” style broth
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus to taste
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper, plus to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine matzo meal, kosher salt, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, and black pepper. Whisk.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add VeganEgg powder and ice-cold water. Whisk until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add oil to VeganEgg mixture and gently mix to combine.
- Pour VeganEgg mixture into dry mixture and gently combine until uniform. Do not over mix.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for about 1 hour to firm up.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- After matzo ball mixture has set, scoop about 2 tablespoons matzo ball mixture and roll into balls. Add to boiling water and cover.
- Continue to boil until all balls float to top, then lower water to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes. Keep the lid on, and do not stir at any time. Leave the matzo balls be!
- Meanwhile, place vegan butter in separate stock pot and heat over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add broth, fresh dill, sea salt and pepper. Cook until warmed through.
- Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon and serve warm in soup! Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.