Vegan Rosemary and Parmesan Pretzels
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup bread flour.
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 2/3 cups warm water +2 tbs
- 1 tsp salt2 tbsp of olive oil
- 9 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Parmesan Shreds
- 3 tbsp chopped rosemary, + 1 tbsp for topping
- In large bowl, add 2/3 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- After 5 minutes, add the oil, bread flour, white flour and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Combine with hands until it forms a dough. Remove the dough from bowl, add a little bit of oil to coat the bowl and prevent sticking, and place dough back, cover with plastic wrap or a towel.
- Let proof for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Sprinkle in the chopped rosemary, and work it into the dough, but don’t overwork the dough.
- Break the dough into 4 sections and start shaping the dough. With each piece, I work the middle with both hands and press outward to stretch the dough into ropes. Bring the dough around in a circle and twist as you come down and placing the opposite ends of the bottom and press. The thinner you make them the more defined they will be. I love big and fluffy so that was my approach.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large pot, combine water and baking soda and bring it to a boil. After shaping the pretzels, soak the pretzels one at a time for 20-30 seconds. They should float to the top. Any more and they may have too much of a metallic taste.
- Place pretzel on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with vegan parmesan and additional rosemary. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate mid bake.
- Turn oven on broil and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Be sure to watch them to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven, allow to slightly cool. Serve warm!