Vegan Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 12oz vegan meat crumbles
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 thick slices of bread
- vegan butter
- Follow Your Heart Medium Cheddar slices, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion and cook, about 1 minute. Add vegan crumbles and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Cook a couple more minutes, stirring often and monitoring the heat.
- Transfer mixture to a plate and wipe skillet clean.
- Assemble sandwiches: Butter one side of each bread slice. Place 1 slice butter-side down in skillet and spread 1/4 cup follow your heart shredded mozzarella over the buttered slice of bread, then spoon over 1/2 of the sloppy joe mixture. Top with another 1/4 cup or so of the grated cheese and one more slice bread, buttered-side up.
- Cook over medium heat until bread is golden and cheese is melty, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 2 sandwiches total. Serve.