VeganEgg Rancho Chilaquiles
by Thug Kitchen
- 1 (15 oz) can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp mild chili powder blend
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 8 corn tortillas or 3 big handfuls of left over corn chips
- ½ cup VeganEgg powder
- 2 cups of ice-cold water
- 1 tbsp Bragg’s liquid aminos, soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (nooch)
- Remaining Ingredients
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- avocado, cilantro, jalapeños, pico de gallo
- For the rancho sauce, throw canned tomatoes, broth, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, chili powder, lime juice, cumin, and sea salt all together in a blender or food processer and let that run until sauce looks pretty smooth. Set aside because we’re gonna come back to that in a sec.
- If you’re using chips just bust those out and skip this step. Otherwise, warm your oven up to 400°F. Cut your tortillas up into 8 triangular slices, you know, like a pizza. Spread the slices out on a baking sheet and throw them in the oven for 15-20 minutes to dry out. Stir them around halfway through. It’s fine if they start to get hard in some spots but don’t let them burn. When they’re all crispy set them aside and now you’re in business.
- Whisk or blend together VeganEgg powder, ice-cold water, Braggs, and garlic powder until everything is mixed up and there aren’t any chunks. Heat up the oil over a medium heat in a large skillet. Pour in VeganEgg mixture and using a spatula start to scramble it up. Stir in nooch, and keep scrambling for about 5 minutes. It’s gonna be a little undercooked but that’s exactly what you’re going for, so just trust us and put the egg on a plate and move on. Wipe the skillet down and throw it right back on the stove cause we ain’t done yet.
- Heat up the next teaspoon of oil over medium heat in that same skillet. Throw in the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños and sauté until onion starts to look a little brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and spinach and cook for 30 more seconds. Add chips or crispy tortillas and 2 cups rancho sauce. Fold in VeganEgg and another 1/2 cup of rancho sauce and let this all simmer together for about 5-7 minutes so that tortillas soften up and spinach is all wilted. By this point everyone will probably be headed into the kitchen to see what smells so awesome but tell them to chill out and wash some dishes until it’s ready.
- When it’s looking good to go, pour on remaining rancho sauce, and then turn off heat. Serve right away topped with sliced avocado, a sprinkle of cilantro, more jalapeños and salsa or hot sauce. Don’t share until someone else promises to wash the dishes.