Wild Mushroom Hand Pies
by Spork Foods
- 1 package (2 sheets) vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated buttery spread
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ pint wild mushrooms (or crimini), diced
- ½ pint oyster mushrooms (about 4), diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (about 3-5 sprigs), stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 4 slices Smoked Gouda, small dice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, for sealing and brushing
- Pre-heat oven to 425°.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add buttery spread. Add shallots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, sherry, sea salt, black pepper and cook for an 3-5 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- On a clean surface, spread out puff pastry sheets. Slice each sheet into 4 rectangles. To form hand pies, spread out mushrooms on 4 rectangles of puff pastry until about ½ inch from edge. Add chopped Follow Your Heart Vegan Smoked Gouda Cheese to top of mushrooms. Brush maple syrup on edges and top with remaining rectangles of puff pastry. Press with a fork around edges to seal up sides and brush tops lightly with maple syrup.
- Poke with a fork or slice small slits into top with a knife. Bake for 18-20 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.