BBQ Jackfruit Sliders with Jalapeño Pineapple Slaw
Recipe Courtesy of: Oscar
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 20 oz cans of young jackfruit in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce of your choice, divided
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke, hickory flavor
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Organic Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
- 8oz pineapple, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 vegan sesame seed slider buns
- 2 Follow Your Heart Vegan American Slices, quartered
- Make Jalapeño-Pineapple slaw by combining all ingredients and tossing well. Leave in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, stir, and cook another minute.
- Add jackfruit, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir to mix well, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir again, cover, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, liquid smoke. Using a fork or spatula, shred jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork. Add in remaining 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and stir well. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing 1 quarter slice of cheese on the bottom half of the bun, top with BBQ jackfruit, coleslaw, and cilantro garnish (if using). Top with top bun. Repeat 7 more times and serve!