Cheddar Rosemary Apple Pie with Brown Sugar Crumble
Recipe Courtesy of: Cooking for Luv
In the South an apple pie is not an apple pie without cheddar cheese on top, and perfectly meltable Follow Your Heart cheddar makes my favorite winter pie tradition a dairy-free reality. If you can find Black Arkansas apples, their deeply rich red color paired with the bright green rosemary makes this a perfect dessert for the Christmas buffet.
6 medium baking apples, such as Black Arkansas or Braeburn, cut into 1 inch x ¼ inch slices (skin on)
½ cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon kosher sea salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons vegan butter
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
6 tabespoons cane sugar
2 tablespoons chilled vegan butter, shredded or cut into small chunks
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 ready made pie crust (or homemade)
¼ block Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Toss apples with sugars, salt, and rosemary.
- In a large dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple mixture and stir to coat.
- Cook apples down until most of the water has been released and caramelized with the sugars, but apples are not completely mush, about 30-40 minutes. This step will ensure your pie is not a watery mess, so don’t skip it.
- While apples are cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make your crumble.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all crumble ingredients and mix with your fingers until a crumb texture forms.
- Roll crust into a pie pan, crimping the edges. Add in cooked apples. Top apples with cheddar cheese slices, leaving a ½ inch ring around the outside so you can still see the pretty apple colors. Top cheddar with brown sugar crumble, making sure to leave little spots where the cheddar color can peek through.
- Bake uncovered for about 35-40 minutes, until the crumble is crisp and golden and crust has cooked through. (If your crust edges start to get too dark during the process, cover the edges with tin foil.)
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes and serve!