Ultimate Vegan Mac n ‘Cheese’
Transport yourself back to your childhood with this classic mac n cheese recipe. The subtle hint of garlic from the bread crumbs adds to the savory delight, and the rich, creamy lusciousness of the cheese will simply make you smile. If you have the time, I highly recommend making up a batch of the Garlic Confit…you will surely save the rest for another day. (If you don’t have the time, you can sauté 2 tablespoons of canola oil with 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic.) Enjoy!
For bread crumb topping:
- 2 tablespoons Thomas Keller’s Garlic Confit
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
For macaroni and cheese:
- ½ stick vegan Margarine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups soy milk
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 pound Follow Your Heart Vegan® Cheddar Shreds (or mix Mozzarella and Cheddar for a milder flavor)
Prepare bread crumb topping:
Pour bread crumbs in medium bowl and evenly pour garlic confit over top. Sprinkle in parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk in to mix. Cook for 1 minute, whisking continually. Gradually whisk in soy milk and simmer, mixing occasionally, for 3 minutes. Sprinkle in cheese and stir until smooth and melted.
- Cook macaroni in a 6- to 7-quart pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions until just tender. Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in cheese sauce and salt to taste.
- Fill a 3-quart shallow casserole with the macaroni mixture and sprinkle with bread crumb topping. Bake casserole in middle rack of oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.