Vegan Cheddar Biscuits with Garlic Butter
Recipe Courtesy of: Eat.Drink.Shrink
For the biscuits
- olive oil (grease the pan)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable vegan butter, at room temperature (coating)
- 1 sprig fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted vegan butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 package Vegan Gourmet Cheddar Shreds (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
For the garlic butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Make the biscuits: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the cold butter and pulse until combined. Pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the shredded vegan cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Combine the apple cider vinegar and milk, whisk together until it curdles.
- Pour in the almond milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
- Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the vegan butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chopped parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm.