Vegan Jalapeño Corn Dogs with Creamy Adobo Sauce
Recipe Courtesy of: Eat Drink Shrink
This recipe comes to you via the fantastic future Dietitian, Gabrielle St. Claire of Eat Drink Shrink. This recipe was inspired by a show about Carnival food, so break out the games and the stuffed animals and have some fun.
Vegan Corn Dogs
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbs sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic and onion powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 4 Field Roast Spicy Sausages
- 2 quarts of vegetable oil for frying
- wooden skewers
Creamy Adobo Sauce
- 1/2 cup Original Vegenaise
- 1 tsp chipotles in adobo
- squeeze of lime juice
- In a medium or large pot, add the oil. Turn heat to medium and heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, seasonings and salt. Then add the almond milk and jalapeños (or maple syrup if using that). Stir until combined. (Batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter)
- Remove hot dogs from package. Wipe them all dry with a paper towel (this will help the batter stick to them better) Insert one skewer or wooden stick into each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass. Holding by the skewer, take one hot dog and dunk it into the batter, coating all of the hot dog. Slowly remove from batter and let a little excess batter drip back into the cup. Immediately place it into the hot oil, while still holding the stick. (make sure the oil is super hot so it starts to immediately cook, if not it will just drip off)
- Turn as necessary to brown all sides. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until all sides are a deep golden brown. Remove from hot oil and place on cookie rack over paper towels to drain grease. Repeat with all hot dogs.
- For the Spicy Mayo add all the ingredients to a food processor scraping down the sides. Serve with corn dogs.
- For less heat use the original sausage dogs and not the spicy version
- If you don’t have sausage dogs you can absolutely use tofu dogs