Vegetable Kugel with Caramelized Leeks
Recipe Courtesy of: Jackie Horrick
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 large leeks, or 3 small leeks, sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large russet potato, (about ½ pound) washed well
- 1 large sweet potato, (about ½ pound) washed well
- 2 medium zucchini, (about ½ pound) washed well
- 1 medium white onion, (about ½ pound)
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons VeganEgg Powder
- ¾ cup ice cold water
- 3 rounded tablespoons matzo meal
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 ⁰F. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with oil and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and leeks with ¼ teaspoon salt. Immediately turn heat to medium low. Sauté, stirring often until slightly browned and translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Shred up the remaining vegetables with a hand grater or food processor- potato, sweet potato, zucchini, onion and garlic and remove as much water as you can with paper towels. This is important for a dry kugel!
- Whisk VeganEgg powder with ¾ cup ice cold water and set aside.
- Combine shredded vegetables with caramelized leeks, VeganEgg, ¼ cup vegetable oil, matzo meal, remaining salt and pepper in a large bowl. If you mixture is very wet, add in a little more matzo meal.
- Pour mixture into the casserole dish, smooth over with a spatula, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until kugel is cooked through, no longer bubbling, and topping is nicely browned.
- Let cool slightly, cut into squares and eat! This kugel can also be cooked in a muffin pan for little individual kugels.