Cheesy Pumpkin Bratwurst Pasta
- 8 oz pasta, gluten-free if desired
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 7oz vegan bratwurst, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into quarter moons
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, gluten-free if desired
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or additional olive oil
- 2 cups plain or unsweetened plant milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Mozzarella Block, cubed (more for garnish)
- 5 slices Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Smoked Gouda Slices
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and cook pasta according to package directions until1 minute shy of al dente.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat and sauté the vegan bratwurst until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Add the second teaspoon of oil and the onions, along with a pinch of salt. Sauté the onions over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are lightly caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the flour and vegan butter or olive oil to the onions and cook for a couple of minutes until the flour is toasty. Slowly stream in the plant milk while stirring. Add the pumpkin puree, Follow Your Heart Mozzarella and Gouda Slices, salt, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and let cook until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and vegan bratwurst to the sauce and stir to combine. Transfer the pasta to an oven save dish if necessary and add a little grated Follow Your Heart Mozzarella on top (optional).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and edges are turning crispy. Turn on the broiler for a couple minutes at the end if desired.