Vegan Red Velvet Crepe Cake
Recipe Courtesy of: Eat.Drink.Shrink
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart VeganEgg powder mixed with 3/4 cup ice cold almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon natural red food coloring or 1/2 cup beet powder or 3/4 cup pureed beets
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese
- 2 cans solid coconut whip
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (more for the top)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and sugar. In a large bowl whisk the vegan egg together, add the additional almond milk, vanilla extract and food coloring/beets. Beat the mixture for 3 minutes. Add the flour mixture and combine slowly, 1-2 minutes. Don’t overmix, or the batter will get tough and rubbery! Cover with plastic wrap so it touches the surface of the batter. Let it sit for 30 minutes. When ready to fry the crepes add 1 tsp of coconut oil every other crepe.
- Heat 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. (The bottom of my 10-inch pan measures 7 inches, which means the crepes will be 7-inch round.) Place a little less than ¼ cup of batter into the hot pan, quickly swirl the pan so the batter is evenly covers the bottom of the pan. In about 1 minute, when the edges of the crepe start to pull away, flip it over using a spatula. Cook for about 30 seconds or so and stack the crepes on a plate. You’ll get about 20 crepes. Cool the crepes completely on a cooling wrap.
- To make the cream cheese filling, beat the cream cheese and solid coconut in a medium mixing bowl with whisk attachment, or using handheld electric mixer. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and mix until smooth, starting on low speed and slowly increasing the speed to medium high.
- To assemble the cake, spread heaping one tablespoon of cream cheese filling on a crepe. Place another crepe on top and spread another heaping tablespoon of the filling. Repeat until all crepes are used. Serve immediately, or store in airtight container in the fridge. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.