Vegan Tortilla Soup with Spicy Jackfruit
Recipe Courtesy of: Oscar
- 1 15oz can of young jackfruit in water
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 3 chipotles in adobo, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 Follow Your Heart Gluten-Free Tortilla Classic, cut into sixths then into small strips
- 2 tbsp safflower or canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp safflower or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1.5 quarts water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup tight packed cilantro leaves, plus 2-3 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8oz Follow Your Heart American Cheese block, shredded
- lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss tortilla strips with 2 tbsp safflower oil and salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, bake for 5 minutes, mix around to turn over, bake for additional 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Place jackfruit in a large mixing bowl, add chipotles with adobo, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Cook in skillet, stirring frequently, until all flavors are incorporated, about 7 minutes. Add 1 tbsp water at a time to prevent sticking. Remove from skillet and let cool. Set aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp safflower oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once onions become fragrant, add garlic and spices and cook about 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add in broth, water, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, cilantro leaves and a half handful of tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender, blend together all soup ingredients. You can also blend in batches in a regular kitchen blender. Transfer back to pot, add jackfruit and bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add in avocado
- To serve, place 1/4 cup cheese at the bottom of 4 bowls. Ladle in soup and top with remaining tortilla strips, a sprinkle of cheese, a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.